The Faculty of Agriculture was established in September, 1992 at the beginning of the 1992/93 session. Courses in Agriculture were previously run under a Department of Agriculture in the Faculty of Natural Science from 1989 up to August 1992.
The Faculty aims at equipping students with the methodology and technical know-how for boosting agricultural productivity. Efforts will also be made to tackle the problems of agricultural production in farmers fields especially in Estate.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- To produce skilled manpower with a strong background in the relevant areas of agricultural production.
- To turn out practical and production-oriented graduates that will successfully put their skills into operation by establishing and operating their own farming enterprises.
- To prepare students for agricultural extension services for practical farm operation and management, for service in government. and industry and other careers in agriculture.
- To conduct research that would provide relevant and appropriate solutions to the country's agricultural development problems and improve agricultural productivity in general.
The Faculty of Agriculture offers a degree programme leading to the award of Bachelor of Agriculture, denoted by B. Agric.
(a) Joint Matriculation Examination Entry Requirements:
In addition to an acceptable pass in JME, candidates must have WASC/GCE O' Level Credit passes in at least five subjects including English language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and/or Agricultural sciences, OR Senior Secondary School Certificate with credit in Engfish Language, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology and/or Agricultural Sciences. Credit pass in Economics and Geography can also be used.
(b) Direct Entry Requirements:
- Candidates for direct admission must have met the matriculation requirements in the relevant subjects plus two SSC/GCE Adanced Level passes in Chemistry and either Biology orAgricultural sciences.
- Candidates who have obtained OND in Agricuhure with a minimum of upper credit, HND in Agriculture with an overall pass or NCE in Agricultural Science with at least an overall Credit pass may be eligible for direct admission provided they meet the JME requirements.
- Candidates who, have obtained Diploma certificate in Agriculture, in any of the Natural Sciences, Banking and Finance and Business Management with at least a merit pass may be eligible for Direct entry to 200L, provided they meet the UME requirements.
- Candidates with OND and Diploma certificates in relevant areas but with a pass grade may be admitted direct into 100 Level.
- HND with upper credit plus 5 credits at WASC/NECO/SCE O' level may be admitted into 300L.
A pass grade in English Language or Chemistry may be accepted. provided the candidates has 5 credit passes in relevant subjects including physics.