Department Of Mathematics and Statistics
The Department of Mathematics offers degree programmes leading to the award of Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Mathematics, Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Industrial Mathematics and Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Statistics.
The department strives to produce graduates who are oriented towards theory application and service in the technological development of the nation.
- To produce Mathematics and Statistics graduates in three degree options namely Mathematics, Industrial Mathematics and Statistics relevant to our national manpower needs.
- To provide service courses in Mathematical Science for students of other departments whose degree programmes require working knowledge of Mathematics and Statistics
- To provide course and supervise research leading to higher degree of this university.
- To promote and encourage research in the various areas of Mathematics and Statistics.
- To produce graduates that can work in Supervisory/Advisory capacities in industry and other sectors of the economy.
Candidates must have WASC/GCE ‘O’ level or SSCE or its equivalent with credit passes in at least five subjects including English Language, Mathematics, and any two other science subjects at not more than two sittings. For Mathematics degree option, a credit in Physics is compulsory, Economy is accepted as one of the two science subjects.
Candidates must satisfy;
- At least two GCE ‘A’ level passes which must include Mathematics
- NCE with at least a merit in Mathematics and any other subject.
- Any diploma with at least a credit or merit in any of the following: Data processing, any engineering course, Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science from a recognised university or polytechnic.